Here are a few nighttime shots of our time in Vienna. St. Stephens is first, then mystery building (we weren't sure what it was, but it had an ice skating rink in front of it), then part of the Hofburg.
We toured the Treasury, home to the Austrian Crown Jewels. Now that was very impressive! I think that when Disney came up with their princess/prince and queen/king stories, they went to Vienna and saw the clothes that the Hapsburgs wore. They look just like what you have always pictured a royal person wearing.

This is supposedly a nail that was used to nail Jesus Christ to the cross. Interesting thought, but of course you never know. We decided that if there was much truth to this, that it would not be in Vienna, in a little museum, and in a not-so-prominently displayed area. Apparently the Hapsburgs were very religious folks (Catholic), and so relics like this would have been really important. There were loads of crosses, crucifixes, etc. in this room as well.
The family tree of Hapsburgs. Engraved on those little ovals were little pictures of them (I think). I liked this piece the best!We also saw the Imperial Apartments and the Sisi Museum at the Hofburg. Those were really great, and we both wished we had more time to read everything there. Of course, we probably did as much as we could with Wiley in tow. The Imperial Apartments were much better than those at the Schonbrunn, and included those of Sisi and her husband Franz Joseph I.
So, let's talk about Sisi. Her real name was Elisabeth, and she was a bit of a diva. Although, Wil decided in the museum dedicated to her, that she was really more of a hippie. Her clothing did not really give that "hippie" vibe, but I think he meant a hippie in that she was pretty revolutionary in her actions as an empress and quite liked the freedom that she lost when she became empress.
She had hair to her ankles that she was quite proud of, and she would spend hours brushing it. Well, someone else brushed it, while she practiced her languages. She also was quite a fanatic about her size, and obsessed about her diet and exercise. We saw the dressing room where her exercise equipment was (2 rings hanging from door, some contraption that I don't know what she did with it, and what looked like a chin-up bar) along with her massage table because you know, Sisi loved a massage after her workout. Who doesn't? I earlier had read/heard on the audio guide that she often did not have family meals because she did not eat very much. Apparently there are a lot of myths about this lady, so maybe that is an exaggeration. I will say she did have a 20 inch waist. It was really interesting to hear about her life. It was quite touched by tragedy, and she never seemed to be very content. So, while she might have been portrayed as a diva, I think I might side with my very insightful husband and agree that after all she was a bit of a hippie, a free-spirit, who wasn't quite cut out for the strict court life.
And that is your history lesson for the day.
Next up: the Griswolds eat their way through Vienna or Vienna is home to lots of yummy desserts. (As if you want to hear more about Vienna!)


2 comments:
Dawson,
I visited Austria with my mom and Robin and her mother after graduation and all of your pictures brought back tons of memories. I loved the Sisi museum. I especially like how obsessed she was with being thin. It seems like you are having a great time in London. Your blog helps break up the monotony of law school! And I like hearing about you Wil and Wiley. Hope all is well.
Brittany Simpson
Ooo my Austrian namesake, I'm proud. She sounds fascinating. I wouldn't mind embracing her legacy. I think I like her quite a lot, in fact.
loving these updates.
love,
the other Elisabeth who is planning on also becoming a revolutionary hippie empress someday
Post a Comment