Saturday, January 23, 2010

London Day Activity

I would call this a "rainy day activity," and for you folks at home, it is. However, in our case, it is a London day activity, as many of our average days are similar to your rainy days (look out our kitchen window for example). I desperately miss my Vitamin D, and I am about 98% sure I would be a better mommy if I saw the sun more regularly. Not to mention, pasty isn't a good color for me.

Anyway, after being home for a week sick, it is safe to say Wiley was bored. And I was too.

What is that you ask? Oh, it's flour. Plain flour. On the kitchen table.

And on Wiley too.

Since he's been missing his education this week, I thought we would do some work on letters. We only got to "D" before he decided he was bored with watching Mommy write, then tracing, then doing his own.

Here he is writing his name. If I want to prove to my parents that I learned something at Wake (and am using it), this really worked well for Wiley as he is active and messy (also known as a boy). So taking that information, let's assume with Gardner's Multiple Intelligences that he will learn better in a "bodily-kinesthetic" mode. A.k.a. hands-on learning! (I also think he would learn really well through music.)

Plus, have you ever tried to teach a pre-schooler how to hold onto a pencil? Yeah, really hard. But with flour, they use their finger which is so natural and much easier to maneuver.

The finished product. "Wiley."

It put my increasingly OCD mind at peace knowing that tonight I would be vacuuming, so who cares if we get flour on the floor? Or the chair? Or the child? Or the Mom?

(Idea came from Wiley's nursery where I think I saw them do something similar, or maybe it was with paint. They always have to most creative ideas!)

2 comments:

Ginna Van Zandt said...

Girlfriend ... I completely understand your Vitamin D deficiency and the unnatural pasty color that is now your skin-tone; my Vitamin D levels and skin-tone are most likely just like, or a bit worse than yours! I CANNOT wait to see the sun on a more regular basis soon! Keep smiling ... the sun may not come out tomorrow, but it will someday soon!

lovey50 said...

D....this is vickie rader...waltons mom....just call me Lovey.....Dave ,walton and i are coming to london over spring break and would love to take ya'll to dinner....but i need advice too! what is your email? mine is vickie.rader@gmail.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9