Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tuesday in Marylebone


Today I walked up Marylebone ("Marley-bone"...I think) High Street in order to purchase a book for my book club. I had been wanting to see Daunt Books for awhile after seeing loads of people carry their tote bags around and after hearing how great it is from my book club. Here is a view inside of the "Edwardian" book shop.

These are books about Italy. Interspersed between travel guides are works of fiction that take place in or are about that particular region, area, or country. So, say when I go to Venice or Tuscany, I decide to read a book that takes place there, then this is how I can easily find it! So cool.
Obviously, I had to check out the "America section." I found the Southern shelves, curious what works of fiction I would find there...maybe To Kill a Mockingbird, Pat Conroy, Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Crazy in Alabama...the list goes on! What a treasure trove it would be! WRONG. As you can see in the picture above, there is no book about Alabama. However, if you want to know about Branson, Missouri and the Ozarks you will find it. It is also lacking in Southern Fiction. Oh, well. The rest of the shop was amazing, so I will forgive them that they don't think Europeans want to read about Alabama. I did get this sweet little tote bag below to carry my book and advertise for them. Seriously, I bet they don't do any advertising aside from these bags. They are everywhere!
And then, deciding I didn't have enough time to get home before turning around to pick up Wiley, I wandered in a few more shops, including Cath Kidston. I found these 1 metre scraps of fabric on sale downstairs, bargained them to 8 pounds cheaper because of dirt on fabric, and now I have the cutest ABC fabric for some future project (pillows? frame it?) and an oil cloth tablecloth on my kitchen table! The oilcloth just barely fits but cleanup is going to be so easy compared to trying to keep that glass table top clean! I could even us it for a picnic, craft projects...the possibilities here are endless.


And there is the messy boy eating chocolate mousse on the new tablecloth!
I loved the Marylebone High Street...there are cute cafes too. Next time I explore a new area/High Street though, I think I should leave my wallet at home! (Although I think I snagged some great deals!)


PS: High Street = Main Street (has grocery, basic stores, specialty shops, etc)


5 comments:

Mary Frances said...

Let's put Daunt Books on the list of things to do and places to see with Mary Frances.

Michal said...

ooo, my heart just skipped a beat. daunt books is on my to-go-see list, too. way to go bargaining- and i'm so excited for your fabric! i'm sure whatever it becomes will be "loads" of fun.

Rachel K. said...

I love Cath Kidston! I bought several things at that store! They have such fun fabrics.

Jennie said...

i love cath kidston too! I have this awesome blue and white polka dot apron from her collection. ohhhh to buy remnants and recover footstools...thank goodness i'm not there.

Jori said...

I've been to Daunt Books! Such a happy place!

Miss yall terribly but love reading about all your adventures. Can't believe how big Wiley has gotten - that picture of him with the pizza is just too much...

love yall!
Jori

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9