Some kids are shy around their teachers, neighbors, dog, you name it--anyone.
Some kids know no strangers.
I happen to have one of the latter. And living in a big city with lots of stranger action makes things...strange.
Like the time Wil was "in charge" on the tube and I looked over and Wiley was sitting in a Spanish girl's lap, and they were laughing and having the best time. Not okay, Dad.
Or the time tonight when we just had to be on what seemed like the longest bus ride ever. Sitting by the chattiest woman ever. Who I think legitimately thought that when we said we were from America, then Alabama (I always add "in the South" because some people actually have no idea where Alabama actually is situated.), that we were from "South America."
What do you say in "South American?" Can you say "Howdy do-di?"
Lady, I don't even know how to spell that phrase to even tell my friends back home about how bizarre this situation is. And South America is a completely different continent--where they speak Spanish.
"In England we say, Hello, Good Morning. Good Afternoon. Good Evening. Do you like my English accent?"
Lady, he's been here over a year. If he is like me, your accent does not phase him. It stopped phasing him after a month of being here. Nor is saying Good morning, afternoon, evening that English. If you want to roll with the stereotypes, you can tell him that in England you say "Cheerio Mate"-- a phrase used just about as much as Howdy do-di is used back home.
It got even weirder and continued with her being a nice, complimentary, overly chatty lady having me agree about his nice gloves and how nice he is ("Aye, Mom?" "Yes. (please stop.)" Needless to say, I have never been more keen to get off a bus than this evening, and proceeded to harp on stranger education to Wiley.
Good Evening Strange Bus Lady. Good Evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment