As I take a quick break from a dance party with this really cute 3 year old, I have a question or a thought about the music we listen to these days. {No, this isn’t a diatribe about rap because I can’t lie, I enjoy 50 Cent, Akon, and Usher about as much as the next girl.}
Dancing around to Jimmy Buffett (first “the song about cheeseburgers” and now “the shark song”) with my little man, I thought about when I first began to like Jimmy. It started with my Dad, of course, who I think is a closet Parrott Head. My sister sang Cheeseburger in Paradise at a tropical restaurant/bar in Abaco, Bahamas when she was maybe 6. Yes, 6. She also knocked a parrot to the ground on the same day. Sassy, even at 6. (At least, I think 6…correct me if I’m wrong, mom). So if W is on track at all, he too could be singing Buffett at bars (daytime of course!) in 3 years…and when I’m vacationing in the Bahamas…hah!
Point of this whole post is this: What music did you listen to when you were little (aside from Raffi and Ms. Glazner from Pilgrim Preschool) that maybe you didn’t like (but your parents did) or perhaps you did enjoy it (thank you, Jimmy Buffett)? Have you suddenly realized you have come full circle, listening to the same music your parents like?
I’ll give you a couple examples:
My mom used to listen to Rod Stewart. I was not particularly fond of those tapes as they were back in the day. However, in high school, I went to my first Rod Stewart concert. I still love him even though he is too old to be wearing bright pink spandex tops at concerts.
The Eagles? (Okay, I didn’t have anything against them, but now I appreciate that my dad actually liked good music.)?
John Denver? (Wiley already knows Country Roads) (And here is a story: I once found the lyrics to Country Roads in my Dad’s guitar case. I had not heard the song before. I read the lyrics, saw they were good, and decided my dad had been holding out on us. We were going to be rich and famous because my dad had written this fabulous song. Unfortunately, John Denver beat him to the punch, and my dad was only trying to learn the guitar chords and lyrics to sing. Yes, laugh if you must. This is a vivid memory in my mind.)
Oh, and ANY oldies. I think those are always cool. The Temptations? Aretha? Tina Turner (is she an oldie?)? Yes, please!
Who are your “classics” that were cool when your parents were chasing you around and are still cool today?
[speak up friends! Comments welcome! I think you can even comment without signing up. Ain’t too proud to beg, sweet readers. I promise this is the last music post.]
8 comments:
you know the eagles are my favorite !!
oh my gosh. you've met my parents.
memory flashback-- driving down the main road on Ocean Isle with the windows rolled down singing Clarence Carter's "Patches" at the top of our lungs.
Download it.
do you really want me to comment on this post? because first of all, there was mozart. every night at dinner. and also, there was the broadway musical "cats."
seriously y'all are the ones living in london
dear w,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgPqmRNjoTE
love,
harvey
ummm just downloaded patches.
and of course jimmy buffett was my jam. and d don't forget amy grant...house of love anyone??
Ms. Glazner!!!! Oh my goodness, haven't thought about that woman in years!
in college i came full circle and now love the music i listened to growing up - we'll start and end with the example of jerry jeff (as you mentioned in the previous post). an example of something that i never imagine that i will listen to voluntarily? kenny g (yes, the sax player).
I have an incredibly vivid memory of sitting in the driver's seat of my uncle's truck in Madison. We were in the middle of some field, doing something to the horses and he made me sit down and learn every single word to Be My Baby Tonight be John Michael Montgomery. And that is NOT an easy one to learn...
Post a Comment