Thursday, November 19, 2009

Would you like a complimentary shot?

Two nights ago, Wil and I were out on the town. He found cheap tickets for Billy Elliott (I wish I was a dancer.), and a "Mexican" restaurant around the corner.

Enter man dressed as "Mexican" with Mexican-style blanket, sombrero who seats us.
(this looks promising, albeit weird.)

Enter waitress wearing a yellow shirt with Corona written on it. Repeatedly. Like it was a normal shirt, but with Corona on it over and over again.
(margaritas ordered. queso dip is denied. "yes, we have cheese on these dishes." no. that is not what we are after. at all. unsure now on this place, but margaritas are on the way.)

Enter waitress wearing a yellow shirt with Corona written on it. Repeatedly. Like it was a normal shirt, but with Corona on it over and over again. She asks what we want to drink. I think I'm going crazy. Then I realize it is a different waitress. Just in the same shirt.
(note to self: I don't want to work here. ever. they make you wear these shirts and your boss is wearing a blanket as a poncho.)

Margaritas arrive. Yes. Along with 10 chips, quac, salsa, and sour cream.
(save umbrellas in margaritas because Wiley will love them. they are still in my coat pocket.)

Order Chimichanga and Enchilada.
(can't mess up a chimichanga right? plus, i've never had one, so my expectations will be quite low. actually non-existent. enchilada is a gamble. wil is brave.)

Food arrives.
(mine is good. wil's is so-so. hey, at least we tried. i did like that they used a roast-type of beef for both, very English of them. Read:un-Mexican).

Check arrives.

Waitress #1 says, "Would you like a complimentary shot of tequila?"
(we exchange glances. if you know me, you know i kind-of-sort-of-very-much-so like tequila. and i love free stuff even more. well, sure. thanks!)

Shots arrive.
(we exchange glances again. is this for real? i think, this must be rot-gut. good thing it is only one. we like our hands, salt them, grab our lime, grab our tequila and toast to 4 years of marriage. we are classy like that.)

Ah. Tequila.
(neighboring table turns down free tequila shot. we are puzzled. who does that? should we ask them to take it and then give it to us? joking, joking.)

And on to Billy Elliott. Alcohol units for each: 2 (one margarita and one free tequila shot)

Pseudo Mexican restaurant: You were no La Carretta, Villa Fiesta, Zona Rosa, or that good one I had in Texas, Chuy's. But you did give me a free shot. Maybe to make up for the fact that you knew I was dreaming of the La Carretta patio and margarita pitchers shared with best friends (hubby included).

But. I did see Billy Elliott (amazing). And you can't do that after eating at La Carretta, Villa Fiesta, Zona Rosa, or even Chuy's. So there.

No comments:

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9