Friday, February 12, 2010

2 things

that make me really happy today...

(and it's even a "london day" with a little rain and lots of clouds.)

...eating lunch with Rachel today at Whole Foods. We roamed both floors of food like kids in a candy store before settling down at a table upstairs for lunch. The handwriting on the signs is even the same as at home! Whole Foods was really good not only for my tummy today, but also for my soul.


...grocery shopping today at the Waitrose. I normally do online shopping, but I haven't in a while for one reason or another. We haven't been cooking much lately because we've been sick, so I desperately needed some stuff to make Taziki's Friday Night Special and Chicken Divan for the weekend. I was dreading taking the bus with Wiley (and stroller) to the Waitrose up the road. But when we got in there and Wiley was all to happy to sit in the seat in the grocery cart (do you think he has missed this too?) my heart felt so happy.

Do you talk to your child(ren) when you grocery shop? Because I do. Face to face, cruising the grocery aisles, we just have some of the silliest, most relaxed conversations. He did have to stop me from singing a tune (I'm not exaggerating) twice. (Wiley does not appreciate my vocal talent.) It just felt like home for a bit there. I had a laugh in the liquor aisle about the price of kahlua with a stockman and had the nicest checkout man (did you know that in grocery stores, the checkout people sit down?). What is it about grocery shopping that is strangely soothing for me? I was even happy packing my goods into these cute bags below and cramming them into the stroller. The euphora even lasted on the crowded bus and walking home.
EnVbags (thank you Mom!)
I think you can get these at Please Reply in Crestline. They fold up and you can put them in the little bag, or just fold them up and carry them in your purse to the store.


So today, I am feeling so thankful for some wonderful time spent with Rachel this morning (We went to Kensington Palace...a post within itself...particularly when you get two Southern Belles in a Last of the Debutantes exhibit.) and then a really normal-feeling afternoon at the Waitrose.
I might even be feeling so euphoric that I won't get overwhelmed with the piles of folded laundry on the sofa, or the piles of towels waiting to be washed...after I fold the sheets in the dryer...and after I cook dinner...are you wondering what I'm on?

{all of this may or may not be related to the fact that I had my first cup of coffee in almost a week this afternoon. and is it bad that both things revolved around food?}

It makes me realize how un-thankful I am. It's so easy to find the bad, the wrong, the frustrating in life (and really, really easy to do so here), so I think I need to memorize this verse and repeat it over and over and over again. Maybe even tattoo it in an easily read spot (just kidding). Lord, write this on my heart:

"in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."
1 Thessalonians 5:18



2 comments:

Rachel K. said...

This morning was so fun! So glad we could go to that girly exhibit together. Whole Foods was also a highlight...glad that your afternoon trip to Waitrose ended up being another a pleasant part of the day as well. Can't wait for you to come up with an emergency/me return your books :)

Chita said...

Hey Dawson! I LOVE your blog! I know exactly how you feel - clinging to things that make you feel at home. I still do that after living overseas for some 13 years. When we first moved to Chile - which we LOVE by the way - we ate at McDonald's several times a week just to have a mini-escape. I would call that desperate, don't you? We never eat at McDonald's in the states!

There is so much to see and do in London - sounds like you are making the rounds. Enjoy it all.

Hugs to you all,
Aunt Chita

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9