Friday, October 30, 2009

Windsor Castle



A couple of weeks ago, we ventured out to Windsor Castle. An easy train ride (that Wiley loved!) from Paddington, it was such a perfect day trip. We could have spent a lot more time wandering around the little town. The Castle itself was incredible. Hearing about the knights was so cool. And all over the city they have exhibits about Henry VIII, including one at Windsor. So, we saw paintings, sketches, old books of his, and even portraits of Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, etc etc. (and if you read any of Philippa Gregory's books, you are fascinated by it even more!) St. George's Chapel is there as well, where Catherine of Aragon (Henry's 1st wife) used to sit for services. Henry is also buried there (along with some other monarchs) with Jane. It is barely noticeable, and I almost literally walked right over the plaque without noticing it! Moral of the story, go to Windsor Castle. It has been my most favorite thing we have done so far, and we have done some pretty great things.

Obviously, you have to take a picture with the guard.

And one with your son who is wearing guard-printed pants (thanks Barnes Boys!) and standing at attention.

My boys outside the castle. St. George's Chapel is on the left.

Close up of St. George's. So pretty. And notice the blue sky!

Picnic lunch on a beautiful fall day, gazing at fall colors and a castle, yes please!

Marching...duh.


And this is why I love London.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahhh Elizabeth and I LOVED Windsor Castle...but it was pouring rain and very windy when we went...it looks like the fall weather was beautiful for you though! Seriously, it was one of my favorite day trips though! I've loved reading about everything you've been doing!

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9