Friday, December 7, 2007

One of those days...

Get ready for a rant...It has really just been one of those days--stressed about nothing in particular, just kinda a blah day, exams looming ahead, Christmas shopping to be done somehow.

So, picture this: Wiley and I are off to get a flu shot, I feel like I might break down any second. Somehow my spirits are lifted at the doctor's. I think it was because the nurse was nice and smiled and Wiley waved at her after she gave him a flu shot, showing his resiliency and friendliness. I was quite proud.

Off to McCall's in Reynolda, a shop run by older women with pretty linens and children's clothes. I had bought Wiley a Christmas/Winter outfit, only to discover that in the light it was not dark blue but more of a purple blue. Not loving purple. So, we go to return it.

I walk in, say that I would like to return a purchase and yes I was the one who called earlier to make sure that they take returns. I tell them that I have forgotten my receipt but was in the area so thought I would take the chance that they might not need it. However, if they did I would just return tomorrow.

First of all, they are all annoyed at me for some reason.
The woman looks at Wiley (who is in cordoruy overalls, turtleneck, but no jacket. He does not fit in his carseat in a jacket so I just took it off and figured he would be a-ok without it for the 30 second walk to the store from the car, after all we did just get a flu shot)and says to me, "Isn't it a little cold outside?"

Thanks. As if I didn't know.

And then she asks me regarding the receipt, "Did you not think to bring the receipt?" Well, yes I did, but I forgot it and happened to be out. Thanks.

And then as they try to search for my name under Cooper, they ask if I came in yesterday and I said yes,I am pretty sure. Or maybe it was Wednesday. To which she replies, "Well it matters."

Thanks. As if I didn't know.

Then she asks "Could it be under another name?" And I realize that my debit still runs under Drinkard and not Cooper. So I say, "Oh, I wonder if it is under Drinkard, my maiden name, because my debit card still runs under it."

Total annoyance from the old biddies in the shop.

To which they find my name and purchase, I am refunded for the purple john-john. And I leave annoyed, wondering if I truly look as ignorant as they made me feel.
I realize I look 14, and I realize I had a 1 1/2 year old on my hip. But really. Do I look like an idiot? Those women may be older and by older I mean old, but there is no need to belittle anyone...especially a customer.

McCall's just might be going on my "Smut List" along with Grandmother's Joy.

No comments:

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9